ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com December 16, 2018


Hubble Space Telescope taken offline after gyroscope failure ars_ab.settitle(1389895)

09 October 2018, 06:30 | Justin Tyler

"The gyro that failed had been exhibiting end-of-life behavior for approximately a year, and its failure was not unexpected; two other gyros of the same type had already failed".

Hubble has carried a total of six gyroscopes - three standard and three enhanced - since astronauts installed them during a spacewalk in 2009, typically using three at once. These six gyroscopes were replaced during a 2009 fix mission to the telescope.

If the team can't bring the malfunctioning gyroscopes back, it'll switch to operating with one or two gyroscopes, Osten said. The Hubble Space Telescope has been sidelined by a pointing system failure.

Scientists are now performing analyses and tests to determine what options are available to recover the gyro to operational performance.

Now one of the remaining three isn't working as expected, leaving Hubble with just two working gyros and it needs at least three for optimal operations. But it can continue to provide observations with just one functioning gyroscope.

Till then science operations with Hubble have been suspended.


"NASA is working to resume science operations of the Hubble Space Telescope after the spacecraft entered safe mode on Friday, October 5, shortly after 6:00 pm EDT, "the agency wrote". Unfortunately, that could take weeks to accomplish, which means the telescope will stay in safe mode until the team is able to troubleshoot the gyroscope.

Dr. Rachel Osten, the deputy head of the Hubble mission, said it had been a "very stressful weekend".

Goddard Space Flight Center and the Space Telescope Science Institute staff are now working out what can be done to "recover the gyro to operational performance", and an "Anomaly Review Board" has been put together to develop a recovery plan. "Which the Astro community wants desperately", Osten tweeted. NASA said that, while this option offers less sky coverage at any particular time, there is relatively limited impact on Hubble's overall scientific capabilities.

Launched into deep space in 1990, the large, long orbit telescope is packed with instruments like cameras, spectrographs and interferometers to clear up mysteries of the universe.

'We'll work through the issues and be back'.



Other News

Trending Now

What They’re Saying About Kavanaugh on the Senate Floor
Manchin, a red-state Democrat, earlier also voted yes to advance Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to a vote in the full Senate. Still, she sent signals that Kavanaugh had cleared a hurdle by reassuring her that he believed the 1973 Roe v.

What to expect from Google’s Pixel hardware event
There are two sensors in the dual camera setup-one for normal selfies and the other for wide angle selfies. Larger than most, according to the leaked images, the bigger device will feature a cutout in its display.

He's Fantastic - Fulham Boss Rows In Behind Jose Mourinho
This led to United scoring three goals in 20 minutes to beat Newcastle and potentially save Mourinho his job. Jokanovic said in an interview with the Times : "He's a fantastic man and I wish him all the best".

Neymar describes Kylian Mbappe as a 'phenomenon' after four goals against Lyon
Asked if the Mbappe-Neymar partnership is the best attacking duo in football, Tuchel replied: "One of the best yes". PSG's Kimpembe was given a red card after a rough challenge in the 35th minute of the game.

Robertson: Title race not just between Liverpool and City
Liverpool don't play with a No 10, but there's no David Silva or Bernardo Silva or a player like that in the squad. It showed we can do both - have the ball and be very strong as well. "We were so defensively solid".

Skripal attack: Second Salisbury suspect 'decorated' officer
Mishkin was said to have made repeated trips to Ukraine and had even stated the GRU headquarters as his home address. Anatoliy Chepiga , a highly decorated officer with the GRU, Russia's intelligence service.

Dana White Just Shared Some Major Conor McGregor News
McGregor also said that "the war goes on" as he seemingly ramps up his campaign to book a rematch bout with Nurmagomedov. Once on Sunday, with the relatively harmless message, "Looking forward to the rematch".