ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com October 16, 2018


Pentagon Bars Troops from Using GPS-Tracking Devices While Deployed

08 August 2018, 06:58 | Melissa Porter

Pentagon Bars Troops from Using GPS-Tracking Devices While Deployed

Pentagon Bars Troops from Using GPS-Tracking Devices While Deployed

Instead, the memorandum instructs that the devices' geospatial tracking capabilities must be turned off in sensitive or risky operating areas where the exposure of location data could cause a "significant risk" to members of the military.

"The rapidly evolving market of devices, applications, and services with geolocation capabilities (e.g., fitness trackers, smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, and related software applications) presents significant risk to Department of Defense (DoD) personnel both on and off duty, and to our military operations globally".

The move to increase troop security comes in part as a response to exercise-logging company Strava publishing a map compiling its users' activity.

Combatant commanders may authorize the use of geolocation capabilities on non-government devices, applications, and services in operational areas after conducting a "threat-based comprehensive Operations Security (OPSEC) survey", according to the memo.

After taking their time, higher-ups at the Pentagon decided that the Global Positioning System functionality on mobile devices is a security risk and information from them can be used by enemies of the United States, even if app developers don't voluntarily share it with the world. The map showed bright spots of activity in places such as Syria and Somalia, where there were otherwise few users of fitness trackers.


Deployed personnel are in "operational areas", and commanders will make a determination on other areas where this policy may apply.

Pentagon spokesperson Col. Rob Manning told reporters on Monday that the new policy ensures "we're not giving the enemy an unfair advantage", while at the same time "keeping pace with technology".

Manning said the department will continue to study the risk associated with these devices and change the policy as needed. It includes physical fitness aids, applications in phones that track locations, and other devices and apps that pinpoint and track the location of individuals.

The Pentagon immediately launched a review. But it also stopped short of banning the devices, and instead made clear that cellphones can still be used in common areas and other offices in the Pentagon if classified information is not present.

Military officials are set to create risk management guidelines and new training for those devices within 30 days, the report said.



Other News

Trending Now

Salon workers recorded hitting customer with broom after botched wax
Thomas says that when she refused to pay for the eyebrow job that she thought was done poorly, an argument ensued and escalated. According News12, Hiuyue Zheng is facing charges of assault, menacing, and criminal possession of a weapon.

DMK workers die of heart attack after hearing about Karunanidhi’s death
Only to see MGR revolt and ride to power in 1977 and consign him to the number two slot in the state's polity for nearly a decade. The movie did not just have an enormous impact on Tamil cinema, but also enormously influenced Tamil Nadu's political scene.

Angelina Jolie Pitt wants divorce finalised by year's end
A TMZ report previously claimed Jolie was fighting Pitt "so hard and nasty" that her lawyer, Laura Wasser, was ready to quit. Their eldest son Maddox was adopted from Cambodia in 2002.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Lifts Off In Florida, Places Indonesian Satellite In Orbit
The Block 5 is SpaceX's final version of the Falcon 9, and features improvements to enable first-stage reuse 10 or more times. The new satellite will replace Telkom 1, which failed in a mysterious debris-shedding event in geostationary orbit past year .

Oman issues statement on Saudi-Canada stand-off
Freeland would only tell reporters Monday that the Canadian ambassador is "fine" and would not disclose his location. Fifteen of hijackers were Saudi nationals.

Trump satisfied with result of market tariffs increase regarding China
Meanwhile, Chinese state TV said: "The White House's extreme pressure and blackmail are already clear to the worldwide community". That move was a response to the Trump administration's proposal of a 25-percent tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports.

Trump Going Ahead With Tariffs On $16B In Chinese Imports
The trade balance between the two countries, which is at the center of the tariffs tussle, continued to be in favor of China. Chinese state media, reflecting the government's stance, has said China will not be cowed in the face of USA threats.