ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com July 17, 2018


9th boy rescued from flooded cave in northern Thailand

10 July 2018, 02:32 | Erica Roy

Image Divers make their way towards the trapped boys

Divers make their way towards the trapped boys

An elite team of Thai Navy SEALs and foreign rescue divers on Tuesday began what they hoped would be a final push to rescue four boys and their soccer coach from a cave near the Thai-Myanmar border after extracting eight others through a labyrinth of tight passages.

Four boys and their coach remain in the cave, but it's unclear if authorities will try to extract them in a group of four or try to take the five out in a single mission.

Headcam footage shows the treacherous path the rescuers must navigate in order to retrieve the stranded school boys and their coach. But then oxygen started running low in the cave, and officials also anxious the little piece of real estate the boys and their coach have could be lost.

Thai Navy SEALS confirmed that the 9th boy had been extracted from the cave at 4:06 p.m.

Heavy rain started falling as soon as the four were removed from the cave. They eventually found a dry landing spot, where they waited for nine days before being found by two British divers.

Thailand's junta leader Prayut Chan-O-Cha visits the site and urges relatives not to give up hope.

The other, and perhaps more worrying, was that oxygen levels in the complex were falling close to unsafe levels. The distance from where the crew is trapped to the main entrance is about a half a mile, and the boys had to travel most of that distance underwater to reach freedom.

Crowds at the teeming rescue site cheer the good news, but attention soon turns to the hard task of getting the boys out safely.

Then came the letters carried out by divers who took oxygen, food and medicine to the boys' refuge as experts evaluated whether to dive them out or provision them, perhaps until monsoon rains usually subside in late October.


At some point, there was talk of leaving of the boys in the cave throughout the rainy season, Tracy said. Teams pump out water around the clock to help clear the path for divers.

Each of the rescued boys has been guided through the dark winding cave by two pairs of divers. He warns the window of opportunity to free the youngsters is "limited".

The operation began just after 10am on Tuesday as the first eight boys, freed in operations on Sunday and Monday, recuperated at a hospital in the nearest city, Chiang Rai.

A scrawled message emerges from the team's coach, offering his "apologies" to their parents, while in other touching notes the boys tell their relatives not to worry.

All of the boys were expected to remain in quarantine for up to a week before finally being allowed to go home and return to a life that will, likely, never quite be "normal" again.

Nargonsak said this phase may take longer than the previous two rescue missions, which both lasted several hours.

As dusk falls four more boys are rescued.

As we enter the day three of the Thai cave rescue mission, the public health permanent secretary Dr Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, from the Ministry of Public Health and Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital, spoke to the media this morning (local time) about the health of the eight boys who have been rescued so far.



Other News

Trending Now

Ferrari boss attacks Mercedes as Hamilton backtracks
It's always easy to judge these things in hindsight, but at the point we made the call to stay out I was on the same page. Meanwhile, Hamilton who missed a chance of a sixth straight victory in his home race sent a message to his fans.

Prince Charles' Friend Hits Out At Meghan Markle's Family
And ever since, Meghan has adhered to the rule - except for Thursday's visit to Marlborough House for the Commonwealth Youth Reception.

4 more boys brought out of flooded Thai cave
If the tests are successful, the sub would be placed on a 17-hour flight to Thailand. "Their plan is designed for rescuing four". They were discovered by a team of British divers on Monday and rescue operations have been meticulously planned all week.

Paulinho set to leave Barcelona, return to China
But, with Paulinho's departure to China and Yerry Mina's potential exit , it could open the door for future signings. As for Paulinho himself, it seems to be a logical move considering the fact that he will turn 30 later this month.

Real Madrid and Juventus close to agreeing Cristiano Ronaldo deal
Patrice Evra has urged Cristiano Ronaldo to snub a return to Manchester United and instead move to Juventus this summer. Despite the fact Ronaldo is heading towards the end of his career he has shown few signs of slowing down.

'Mini-sub ready if needed': Elon Musk tweets from Thai cave
Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around their beds. Monday's rescue effort took about nine hours, two fewer than the day before, in a sign of growing confidence and expertise.

Trump set to announce hotly anticipated U.S. Supreme Court pick
Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia judge Thomas Hardiman , the runner-up in last year's search, rounds out the final four. Republicans in the Senate need to be completely united on the pick, because of the delicate nature of their majority.