"Mr Bemba can not be held criminally responsible for the crimes committed by MLC troops during the Central African Republic operation", she said, reading the ruling of a 5-judge appeal panel.
Last year judges at the ICC added a year to Bemba's 18-year jail term for attempting to bribe witnesses during his war crimes trial. If Bemba, who has been behind bars for 10 years, actually takes on Kabila in an (electoral) fight, it's likely this battle will claim further victims.
During unrest in the auto between October 2002 to March 2003, troops with Bemba's Congolese Liberation Movement, or MLC, were found to have committed "the crimes against humanity of murder and rape and the war crimes of murder, rape and pillaging".
"We find it regrettable and troubling", Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said.
More than 5,200 victims participated in Bemba's trial. He sent fighters from the Movement for the Liberation of Congo to auto to suppress an attempted government coup.
Van den Wijngaert said Bemba's efforts to stop the crimes "extinguished his responsibility in full".
Bemba was convicted on March 21, 2016 of murder, rape and pillaging between October 2002 and March 2003, when militia troops of the Movement for the Liberation of the Congo (MLC), who were under his command were sent to neighboring Central African Republic to quell a coup attempt.
Friday's decision was greeted by cheers from his supporters in the gallery.
But the two dissenting judges wrote that the majority had used the wrong standards for review and that its findings were, therefore, deeply flawed.
The 55 year old who fled DRC after losing a presidential poll was arrested in Belgium in 2008.
Appeal judges also said he had been "erroneously" convicted for specific criminal acts.
Van den Wyngaert said Bemba would not immediately be released because a separate panel of ICC judges is still considering what sentence he should be given in a conviction for interfering with witnesses in his trial.
It remains unclear whether Bemba intends to return to the country after his release.
McGregor Confirms He Was Set For UFC 224 Card
He was on a roll, more importantly to the UFC promotional machine, he was willing to say anything to get noticed. Even failed attempts are a success, as long as they tie dos Anjos up and frustrate his offense.
E3 2018: New Anthem Gameplay Shown Off
The latter's launch is far more limited, however, with Android users having first crack at the game's "pre-alpha" test version . The Dominion, the bad guys, are looking to use the " Anthem of creation" to create even more chaos in the world.
BT Group CEO Gavin Patterson is to Step Down Later in 2018
When you devise a strategy which has the "full support" of the board then you expect that you will be around to execute it. The decision to overhaul the company was made to cut costs and boost profits as BT invests in 5G technology.
Trump pulls out of joint G-7 statement, attacks Trudeau
And he says his steel and aluminum tariffs are based on legitimate national security concerns, rebuffing the concerns of allies. He tweeted that he would not now endorse the communique due to "false statements" from the Canadian PM.
Justify captures Triple Crown with Belmont Stakes win
Kenny Troutt is the primary owner of the racehorse, Justify , which is vying to win the Triple Crown in the Belmont Stakes . His story grew more complicated the next morning when he looked uncomfortable putting pressure on a bruised left hind heel.
Government will hold off releasing American back to Syria
Iraq launched an air strike against an Islamic State target inside neighboring Syria on Thursday, the military said. The detainee, who has a degree in electrical engineering, is married with one child, according to court papers.