ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com October 21, 2018


China's ZTE Teeters as US Ban Organizing Operations

12 May 2018, 11:22 | Justin Tyler

China's ZTE Teeters as US Ban Organizing Operations

Shanghai ZTE Corporation R&D Center

Following the latest export ban, ZTE has said "the major operating activities of the company have ceased" while it attempts to have the sanctions removed or modified.

The US Department of Commerce has against ZTE for alleged violations of the US Export Administration Regulations.

Another Chinese player, ZTE, paid $892 million in fines for exporting U.S. tech to Iran a year ago. The Defense Department last month ordered military exchanges to end the sale of ZTE phones on US bases.

The Commerce Department ban on US suppliers exporting goods to the Chinese network equipment and handset maker was discussed when a delegation led by US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin met with Chinese officials in Beijing last week.

US President Donald Trump had started a trade war with China in March, imposing higher tariffs after saying an investigation by Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer had found that China is using foreign ownership restrictions to require tech transfers from US to Chinese companies, as well as conducting espionage to acquire intellectual property.

The company, which is also the world's biggest telecommunications equipment manufacturer, would ditch Google's platform amid reports that it is under investigation by the United States for breaching sanctions against Iran, the South China Morning Post on Sunday.


Others, meanwhile, indicated they continued to evaluate the impact of the ban and subsequent shutdown, including AT&T, the top distributor of ZTE phones in the US, and South African telecom giant MTN. The order was causing "irreparable harm" to the company and partners, as well as millions of consumers, including those who own its phones and major network operators, the person said.

The proposed Fair Trade with China Enforcement Act would also block government or contractors from buying telecommunications equipment and services from Chinese tech giants ZTE and Huawei.

ZTE also sells handsets to U.S. mobile carriers including AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.

Qualcomm last month said it expected lost sales to ZTE to lower its earnings by 3 cents per share in the current quarter.

None of the other companies could immediately be reached for comment. ZTE had plans to become one of the first vendors in America to offer a smartphone connected to the next-generation wireless network known as 5G.

"ZTE is undertaking a complete stock take of all units potentially impacted by the Denial Order", Digicel said.



Other News

Trending Now

Even More Cancellations, Quantico Gets Canceled By ABC After Three Seasons
The actor made her Hollywood debut as a villain in Dwayne Johnson's Baywatch that failed to work at the box office. The shows current season, which premiered last month, will continue to air through mid-July, reported Variety .

Patriots Releasing 2017 Third-Round Pick Antonio Garcia
Patriots OL coach Dante Scarnecchia said the team will "take a look at" first-round rookie Isaiah Wynn at left tackle. Garcia had been taking part in the Patriots' voluntary offseason program, which just concluded its fourth week.

Johnson headlines crowded leaderboard at Players Championship
He had to settle for a 67, still a strong start considering that no one has ever won back to back in the PGA Tour's premier event. So he had one of his coaches, Allen Terrell, teach the method to Austin Johnson, his brother and caddie. "It's definitely helped.

Anand Ahuja's latest picture with Sonam Kapoor is too romantic for words
The festivities began on Sunday, May 6, with a mehndi ceremony that saw Sonam and Anand make their first appearance together. Stay tuned for Sonam's pictures from the Cannes Film Festival , where she is a fixture at the red carpet.

Legoland accused of 'whitewashing' over Meghan Markle Lego figure
There is suggestion that Meghan could wear the same tiara Princess Diana wore on her wedding day, back in 1981 to Prince Charles . It's just a week to go until Prince Harry and Meghan Markle walk down the aisle at Windsor Castle.

Simpson matches course record, Woods struggles to make cut at Players
It's so hot, it's playing short, the greens are receptive". "I just never hit it close enough", he said. On the back nine, Simpson went bonkers and started to pull away from the competition.

United Kingdom regulators fine Barclays chief for whistleblowing failure
The whistleblower flagged issues of a personal nature over Staley and Main's role in dealing with those concerns at JPMorgan. This is the first case brought by the FCA under the senior managers regime (SMR).