ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com December 18, 2018


Broadcom confirms it has withdrawn its Qualcomm bid

14 March 2018, 08:32 | Justin Tyler

Broadcom confirms it has withdrawn its Qualcomm bid

President Trump “US Technology is Not for Sale

Chip-maker Broadcom has withdrawn its bid for rival Qualcomm, two days after US President Donald Trump declared he would block the $142bn (£104bn) deal.

But the United States is anxious that a takeover would dramatically reduce investment and research at Qualcomm, giving an advantage to China. Things went hostile a month later when Broadcom revealed it would target Qualcomm's shareholders directly and ask them to elect a new slate of directors chosen by Broadcom, and Broadcom later went on to submit a revised $121 billion bid last month.

In addition, lawmakers have expressed concerns in the past about foreign companies gaining a foothold in us telecom infrastructure, which could lead to spying or cybertheft.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, which reviews the national security implications of foreign investments in US companies, cited concerns about Broadcom's penchant for cutting costs such as research spending.

"The case against the acquisition is inherently tied to the argument that the transaction could adversely impact US control of the pace and progress of the development of 5G technologies", he said. Companies including Qualcomm and China's Huawei have been investing heavily to stake their claim in the underlying technology. "This is in large part because of a weakening of Qualcomm's position would leave an opening for China to expand its influence on the 5G standard-setting process".

"Details of the security risk are likely around 5G cellular technology [where] Qualcomm, in our view, is well ahead of foreign and domestic competitors", said Stifel analyst Kevin E. Cassidy in a report late Monday.

"(The) investigation has so far confirmed the national security concerns", the panel told the company via a letter.


Congress issued a critical report on the Chinese tech firm in 2012 that effectively shut it out of the United States market. European-based companies could do the same, too.

Trump may not get to build the network himself, but he's sure not going to leave it to China to build it for us.

Broadcom thanked both its own stockholders and Qualcomm stockholders, some of whom have expressed concern at the future of the company.

However, Broadcom hit back, saying it "strongly disagrees that its proposed acquisition of Qualcomm raises any national security concerns".

"5G is a core piece of the franchise Broadcom is trying to purchase", Bernstein analyst Stacy Rasgon wrote in a note to clients before the deal was blocked.

"The cases [against the deal] as laid out feel very weak to us, but politics is politics", Rasgon wrote earlier in March.



Other News

Trending Now

Millennial 26-30 railcard website crashes due to huge demand
This new card costs £30 per year and will only be available digitally , meant to be used on smartphones. But with only 10,000 available on the first day it is easy to see how travellers might get frustrated.

Teacher trained in gun use accidentally discharges firearm in Calif. classroom
The man was just to explain the attendees about pistol safety when the weapon went off, the slug hitting the ceiling. Though the gun didn't shoot anyone directly, "Fragments from the bullet struck a student in the neck", Pridgen said.

USA Makes Taxes on Steel and Aluminum Imports Official
And there is now a race for the rest of the world to catch the exemption train, before it leaves the station in two weeks' time. Trump says he's sticking with his initial plan for import tariffs of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum.

We're Happy To Announce Queer Eye Fan Favorites Tom & Abby Are ENGAGED!
Tom posted a picture of himself and his fiancee, writing: 'It's official, Abby and I are engaged. It's been quite a ride, but we're happy he's happy.

Official Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald teaser trailer
The studio released a short video yesterday announcing that the first teaser trailer for the film was coming sometime today. Redmayne is joined by returning cast members Katherine Waterston, Ezra Miller, Dan Fogler , Alison Suodl, and Zoe Kravitz .

Amitabh Bachchan gets go ahead for 'Thugs of Hindostan' action scene
Aamir Khan born Mohammed Aamir Hussain Khan is an Indian film actor, producer, director and television talk show host. Every year Aamir seeks blessing from his mother as well as addresses the media and cuts birthday cake with them.

Giants gave Jonathan Stewart a two-year, $6.9 million deal
Stewart joins a backfield that includes 2017 fourth round pick Wayne Gallman and 2016 fifth round pick Paul Perkins . He is Carolina's all-time leading rusher with 7,318 yards and second in rushing touchdowns with 51.