ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com October 23, 2017


France and Qatar get to final of UNESCO chief vote

13 October 2017, 09:41 | Erica Roy

US Jewish Groups Express Alarm as Antisemitism-Tainted Qatari Candidate Closes in on UNESCO Chief Post

United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization logo

UNESCO has been critical of Tel Aviv in the past, and its decision to nominate the West Bank city of Hebron as a Palestinian world heritage site angered Israel, which wanted its long Jewish history to be recognised.

UNESCO's executive board has chosen France's Audrey Azoulay as the Paris-based United Nations agency's new chief, rejecting a candidate from Qatar who was seen as the front-runner a day earlier.

Arab states had been lobbying hard to get an Arab candidate elected as UNESCO's director-general.

The board has held secret ballot votes every day this week, whittling down the seven candidate to Azoulay and former Qatari culture minister Hamad bin Abdulaziz al-Kawari.

Qatar's Hamad bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari and France's Audrey Azoulay both received 18 votes each in the third round on Wednesday to replace UNESCO's director-general Irina Bokova by the start of 2018.

The election of UNESCO's new chief has been narrowed down to two candidates, one from Qatar and the other from France.


To win the post of the UNESCO director general, a candidate should get an absolute majority of 30 votes of the 58-member board in any of the four rounds of the vote that kicked off on Monday and will run until October 12.

China's Tang Qian and Lebanon's Vera El Khoury each announced their withdrawal ahead of the vote Thursday.

UNESCO's general assembly will have to sign off on the board's pick. Arab intellectuals urged French President Emmanuel Macron to withdraw his support for her.

French media reported that Qatar recently invited several members of the UNESCO executive board on an all-expenses-paid trip to Doha. In addition, the vote came as Egypt and three other Arab nations continued a months-long boycott of Qatar over allegations that the government funds extremists and has overly warm ties to Iran.

Egypt's foreign ministry has demanded an inquiry into alleged "violations" during the UNESCO voting.

While the Trump administration had been preparing for a likely withdrawal from UNESCO for months, the timing of the State Department's statement Thursday was unexpected.



Other News

Trending Now

Google adds Chromecast control to Assistant on smartphones
But also, it'll be a handy feature for anyone who's using Android and a Chromecast , but doesn't own a Google Home . The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL default launcher which comes with bottom search bar is now available to Download.

Rishard Matthews Would Rather Quit Than Be Forced To Stand
Matthews' response Thursday to a reporter from his verified account was captured by a screen grab. Soon after publishing the tweet, Matthews deleted it.

Morata ruled out of Chelsea's trip to Crystal Palace
The Spaniard limped out of Chelsea's 1-0 defeat to City at Stamford Bridge and subsequently missed the global break with Spain. Morata had a scan last week, with Spain's medical staff claiming that he had suffered a grade two hamstring injury.

Facebook supports full disclosure on Russia-backed ads: Sheryl Sandberg
Last month, Facebook agreed to hand over the ads to congressional investigators in addition to special counsel Robert Mueller . Facebook said it believed the messages were likely bought by people in Russian Federation before and after the 2016 election.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Open Beta Deadline Extended
The Battlefront beta closed on Thursday after being extended for 2 extra days and the full game will release on November 14. It provides them with valuable data that they can use to ensure that the game's final launch goes off without any issues.

Pep Guardiola was 'disrespectful' with 'Harry Kane team' comment, says Mauricio Pochettino
Speaking after Manchester City's 1-0 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, Guardiola was asked for his views on City's title rivals.

Samsung Galaxy A5 2018 New Leaks Reveal Its Design
According to renowned leaker Evan Blass , T-Mobile has a new Samsung Galaxy S8 Active nearly ready for launch. If the technology indeed debuts with the Galaxy Note 9 next year, it might only be a short-lived feature.