ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com October 24, 2017


Swiss Prosecutors Investigating PSG Chairman

12 October 2017, 07:38 | Charlene Valdez

Paris Saint-Germain chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi subject of criminal proceedings

Swiss open criminal case against ex-FIFA official Valcke, beIN CEO

Nasser Al-Khelaifi is at the centre of a TV rights deal storm, after Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings against the Paris-Saint Germain chairman.

"The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland has opened a criminal proceeding against the former Secretary General of Federation Internationale de Football Association and against the Chief Executive Officer of the BEIN MEDIA GROUP LLC in connection with the award of World Cup media rights", said the statement on Thursday from Swiss prosecutors, referring to Valcke and Al-Khelaifi.

Prosecutors also said it was working with authorities in France, Greece, Italy and Spain, where properties had been searched.

Zurich-based Federation Internationale de Football Association, the global soccer body, has been trying to overhaul its operations in the wake of the worst crisis in its history, sparked in 2015 by the indictment in the United States of several dozen soccer officials on corruption-related charges.

Valcke is now serving a 10-year suspension for his alleged involvement in a scheme to profit from World Cup ticket sales.


Prosecutors said the new investigation was opened in March 2017 and that Valcke was interviewed in Switzerland as a suspect.

The Paris offices of BeIN sports were searched on Thursday as part of the criminal probe, French authorities said.

The accusations ranged from taking private jets for personal use, destroying evidence and trying to force through an undervalued sale of 2018 and 2022 World Cup television rights for the Caribbean.

The businessman is the head of Qatari television network beIN Sports, which was awarded tournament media rights by Federation Internationale de Football Association. He became the chairman and chief executive officer of the French club, who broke the world transfer record to sign Neymar earlier this year, four months later.

"No one has been on remand", added the OAG statement.



Other News

Trending Now

U.S. bombers overfly Korean peninsula in show of force
In recent weeks, North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth nuclear test, all in defiance of U.N. Donald Trump may be planning to visit the demilitarised zone (DMZ) separating North and South Korea , it has been claimed.

India's August Industrial Production rises 4.3%
Food and beverages during the month under consideration recorded a rise of 1.76 per cent over the same month a year ago . Among non-food categories, the "fuel and light" segment's inflation rate accelerated to 5.56 per cent in September.

Sensex, Nifty zoom ahead of results by TCS, Reliance Industries
Notably, the shares of TCS gained as the Indian IT bellwether is scheduled to announce its much awaited quarterly earnings today. Coal India , Hindustan Petroleum, and Kotak Mahindra bank lost more than 0.6% each in the opening trade on Thursday morning.

Hyperloop One Is Now 'Virgin Hyperloop One' Thanks to Richard Branson's Investment
Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson predicts he will travel in space before he ever becomes a passenger on a hyperloop . Hyperloop One, the Los Angeles-based startup working on an ultrafast tube transportation system, is no more.

Kimmel: Trump threat to NBC is 'what dictators do'
Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Heather Graham and Ashley Judd are among those to have accused the film producer of harassment. Trump tweeted. "Should we get Equal Time? ". "This type of predation happens behind closed doors, and out of public view".

Andromeda and Dead Space 3 coming to EA Access soon
It is now possible to enjoy the entire trilogy on Origin Access on PC or EA Access on Xbox One through backwards compatibility. Andromeda was roundly condemned and mocked on its release, partly because of its numerous bugs and freaky facial animations.

U.S. to Pull Out of UNESCO Over 'Anti-Israel Bias'
The Foreign Policy report stated that US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson made the decision about withdrawing from the United Nations body a few weeks ago.