ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com August 21, 2017


United Nations expresses frowns over unauthorised invasion of Maiduguri base by security forces

13 August 2017, 12:14 | Melissa Porter

Borno APC Slams Shekau Capture Rumours

Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator Peter Lundberg gestures as he speaks during an interview with Reuters in his office in Maiduguri northeast Nigeria

He stressed that the condone and search operation was not specifically targeted at the United Nations facility, but rather done in the general area of operation.

It stated that it had been conducting cordon and search operations in urban and rural areas within the state.

According to him, the military recorded significant success in various operations conducted in the theatre in the past two weeks.

"It has forced the Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) to change tactics and resort to employment of suicide bombers to target military locations and the populace". This necessitated the need to intensify cordon and search in the Maiduguri metropolis and environment.

"In the last one week, cordon and search operations were conducted in Jiddari -Polo, Muna Garage, Jakana amongst several other areas". On 10th August 2017, Theatre Command received information from one of its credible sources that some high value BHT suspects had infiltrated into Pompomari Bye Pass.

"It therefore became expedient to take preemptive action by combing the general area through a cordon and search operations". About 30 houses were searched during the exercise and no arrests were made.

Attahiru noted that the house in question does not bear United Nations designation; we later discovered that the building housed some staff of United Nations humanitarian agency.

The Nigerian military, which claimed there was no sign it was a United Nations camp, issued a statement Friday calling its "operation" a success but added that no suspect was found.

Security forces entered the humanitarian base at 5am yesterday and searched the tented camp for close to three hours, the coordinator said in a statement.


The statement was signed by its Head of Communications, Samantha Newport.

The UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Nigeria, Edward Kallon, has expressed concern over the unauthorised search of the UN base for humanitarian workers in Maiduguri, Borno by security forces. In ther conversation, Shettima reassured the DSG of his government's commitment to safeguarding humanitarian workers and ensuring that worldwide protocol was restored by all security agencies.

The United Nations says Nigerian soldiers have conducted an unauthorized search of a U.N. humanitarian base in the city where the Boko Haram insurgency began.

"We are focused on the work ahead to ensure that the millions of vulnerable people in the northeast are supported with life-saving humanitarian aid", Lundberg added.

Within minutes of the raid, rumour spread across the country of the "arrest" of Boko Haram leader, Ahmed Shekau.

Commenting on the raid on United Nations facility in Maiduguri, General Attahiru said "Our actions, like previous successful exercises, were based on intelligent reports made available to the military and never meant to tarnish the image of the United Nations body, an agency we so much respect and hold in higher esteem".

She had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Tsav said, "There is nothing wrong with the military searching the United Nations property".



Other News

Trending Now

Rep. Engel Compares Trump To Kim Jong Un
We should challenge Kim to present a new face to the world and offer to come in and provide whatever assistance they need to make the whole thing a success.

Brighton bank on surprise factor to upset City
Lukaku isn't the only player being reunited Mourinho, who also convinced former club Chelsea to sell Nemanja Matic to United. In the 34 years since we have experienced highs and very many lows. "We were not able with those players to find a solution".

Rogers Cup: Rafael Nadal beaten, Roger Federer through in Montreal
The fourth seed from Germany capitalized on three of his five break point chances to prevail after one hour and 31 minutes. He quickly got on a roll in Montreal beating Brazil's Rogerio Dutra Silva in the opening round 4-6, 7-6 (10/8), 6-4.

Nine-man Chelsea shocked by Burnley on opening day
Stephen Ward then made it 2-0 in spectacular manner, firing a volley past Chelsea keeper, Thibaut Courtois , from a tight angle after 39 minutes.

U-19 cricket Asia Cup shifted from Bengaluru to Malaysia
Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have earned an automatic qualification. The matches are expected to be held in Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore.

European Union countries report contaminated eggs, Irish risk to health 'very low'
The European Commission confirmed that all these countries had received eggs that had traces of the insecticide fipronil . Fipronil is a popular insecticide to treat pets for fleas and ticks but it is forbidden for use in the food chain.

Samsung Gear Sport smartwatch tipped by FCC entry
It is possible that the time in between has led to improvements and refinement in the device before its arrival at the FCC. The Gear Sport appears to resemble the existing Samsung Gear smartwatches in terms of design with a round form factor.