ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com July 28, 2017


Doha says United States media report showed UAE attack on Qatar's news agency

17 July 2017, 11:07 | Jodi Jackson

Nikku Xinhua via ZUMA

Nikku  Xinhua via ZUMA

UAE Ambassador Yousef al-Otaiba denied the report in a statement, saying it was "false", the Post said.

The controversy started on May 23, when alleged hackers reportedly posted fake remarks on Qatar's official media platform criticising U.S. foreign policy and attributing the statement to the country's emir. "But we can not have a member who is undermining us and supporting extremism", Gargash said during a speech at the Chatham House global affairs think tank in London.

Qatar, the tiny Gulf state being isolated by its neighbors, said Monday the reported involvement of the United Arab Emirates in hacking its government news site in May is "unfortunate" and a breach of agreements among the Gulf countries.

The four Arab states accuse Qatar of ties to Iran and of funding Islamist extremist groups. He said: "The Washington Post story is not true". He said that the story "will die" in the next few days.

The emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, had been quoted in May as praising Hamas and saying that Iran was an "Islamic power", the Post reported.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was previously known to be working with Qatar to probe the hacking.


The GCC is a six-member bloc that includes Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Meanwhile, Qatar has pointed toward U.S. intelligence officials who revealed the UAE's involvement of being behind an alleged cyber-attack on Doha's state media, which set into motion the current diplomatic crisis.

It continued: "What is true is Qatar's behaviour. Inciting violence, encouraging radicalization, and undermining the stability of its neighbours", the statement said.

"What we know now is that Qatar is admitting that the list is worthy, that the list needs to be looked at, and that they need to change some of their laws to ensure that there is a proper process to cover this list", he said.

Mr Gargash said Qatar's neighbours were prepared to continue the boycott for months if it did not comply with the list of demands it was handed last month and agreed to worldwide monitoring.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told his Kuwaiti counterpart that the sanctions were being maintained "in light of what the quartet states see as Qatar's stalling and procrastination, and lack of concern for the concerns of the four states".



Other News

Trending Now

Analysts See $0.48 EPS for Restaurant Brands International Inc (QSR)
The sale was disclosed in a document filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which can be accessed through this link . Restaurant Brands International (NYSE:QSR) (TSE:QSR) last released its quarterly earnings data on Wednesday, April 26th.

Happy World Emoji Day
Thousands of people all across the world dressed as massive emojis and celebrated together. Check out our exclusive featurette courtesy of Sony Pictures below.

Abidal: Verratti would be key player for Barcelona
Sporting director, Fernandez also confirmed Barca will be pursuing transfers up until the very last minute. But Verratti's arrival will not come at the expense of either Rakitic or Gomes.

Juventus sign De Sciglio and Szczesny
Juve coach Allegri sees Szczesny as the long-term successor of Gianluigi Buffon , who is expected to hang up his gloves in 2018. The Italy legend is set to retire at the end of the upcoming season and Szczesny now appears best placed to replace him.

ACC preseason poll: Florida State No. 1, Clemson No. 2
BC defensive end Harold Landry got eight votes for ACC Preseason Player of the Year, fourth among eligible players. The Seminoles were picked by the media at ACC kickoff to continue that trend of conference supremacy this season.

Trump dismisses Don Jr.'s meeting as just 'politics'
The President's son has tried to discount the meeting, saying he did not receive the information he was promised. The president on Sunday said his eldest son was being set up by the Fake News Media.

Kerala HC drants interim bail to former DGP TP Senkumar
Director General of Prosecutions Manjeri Sreedharan Nair had given the legal advice to the government to book Senkumar. He was booked under Section 153 (A) of the IPC, promoting enmity between different groups on the grounds of religion.