ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com September 24, 2017


Kylian Mbappe breaks incredible Champions League record against Borussia Dortmund

21 April 2017, 03:22 | Charlene Valdez

Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim insists he is unconcerned by potential opponents after his side became the first French team to reach the Champions League semi-finals since Lyon in 2009-10 by clinically dispatching Borussia Dortmund.

He was injured for the first leg so was not on the bus that was attacked, but he returned to score in the 3-1 home win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga at the weekend.

Many Barcelona fans are optimistic that their team will upturn the first leg defeat considering how they came back against PSG in their round of 16 second leg duel.

Monaco made the most of that let-off and were 2-0 up in the 17th minute.

Monaco booked their place in the Champions League semifinals after back-to-back three-goal performances against Dortmund.

Nobody expected Monaco - conquerors of Pep Guardiola's Manchester City in the last round - to get this far but they have done it playing a superb brand of football that has yielded 141 goals so far this season.

Mbappe scored twice in the first leg, either side of a Bender own goal, to leave Monaco in pole position to reach the semi-finals for the first time in 13 years.


Goals from Ousmane Dembele and Shinji Kagawa last week kept them in with a chance, but they must also find a way of stopping a fearsome Monaco attack that has scored 138 goals in all competitions this season. "But we expect a much stronger Dortmund team".

"During the 90 minutes it was slightly easier for us than it was on Wednesday evening", Dortmund captain Marcel Schmelzer said.

The Ligue 1 side took a 3-2 first-leg lead back to Stade Louis II, where kick-off was pushed back five minutes after Dortmund's team bus was delayed.

On the eve of the return leg, the mindset of Tuchel and his players is different: a mixture of pride, motivation and defiance. We're ready and focused.

"We played a very solid game, we were in control but we showed ambition". We have a good mix of experienced players and youngsters. This quarter-hour [delay] meant we couldn't think of football, although we were actually well-prepared for the game.

With Dortmund pushing forward in numbers, Monaco was stretched down both flanks but, equally, it was left exposed to Monaco's slick counterattacking.



Other News

Trending Now

North Korea mock-up video shows missiles blowing up the United States
Yet a couple of chilling characteristics set it apart: A nuclear weapons programme and an unpredictable young leader. Meanwhile, 1,250 U.S. marines arrived in Australia yesterday "ready to fight" North Korea should war break out.

Congressman: Spicer comments 'not without some validity'
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman said contemporary comparisons with Nazi atrocities were ill-advised. It was not the first time the White House has had to answer questions about the Holocaust.

Ivanka Trump will donate book proceeds to charity
Ivanka Trump's first book , The Trump Card: Playing To Win In Work And Life , made it on to The New York Times bestsellers list. Trump said to comply with ethics rules she will not promote her book and said that she wrote it before her father was elected.

Google Home gets an edge on Alexa with multi-user support
If you don't see the card, click on the icon in the top-right, and find your Google Home from the list of connected devices. Those features didn't make much sense on a device that, while inherently communal, but could only recognize a single voice.

Fear That Turkey's Vote Closes Door On Democracy
However, opposition parties said the exercise was marred by irregularities, adding that they would challenge its result. The statement did not say whether Trump had raised accusations of voting irregularities during the referendum .

Man United: United star back in squad
But United will not need a strong league finish if they win the competiton and, on this gritty showing, it's in their grasp. We played amazingly well, it was a great result and a good feeling for everyone, but now we play a crucial match.

O'Reilly is out at Fox News amid sexual harassment accusations
Bill O'Reilly now has the opportunity to take an extended vacation after 21st Century Fox chose to part ways with the TV host. O'Reilly said in the statement at the time that he had settled only to spare his children from the controversy.