Why Trump's promise to move United States embassy to Jerusalem is so controversial
Texas revives 'bathroom bill,' but only for public schools
US diplomat Rex Tillerson hints at possible talks with Iranian counterpart
LeBron James snubbed from NBA MVP shortlist
Defiant Assange says will not 'forgive and forget'
Sacked news host Bill O'Reilly blasts 'unfounded' harassment claims
20 April 2017, 03:16 | Melissa Porter
Richard Drew AP File
Fox News Channel announced Wednesday that Bill O'Reilly, who has worked for the cable network since its inception in 1996, won't return to its top-rated show.
"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Bill O'Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel", it said in a statement.
For American conservatives who reject the RINO establishment, O'Reilly will not be missed.
O'Reilly's behavior has been under scrutiny since an April 1 report in the New York Times that said he and Fox News have paid $13 million in settlements against women who have accused him of sexual harassment or abusive behavior going back to 2002.
The announcement comes at hard time for Fox News, whose former chairman Roger Ailes resigned a year ago after a sexual harassment lawsuit by former anchor Gretchen Carlson.
It's no wonder the man now occupying the Oval Office was one of O'Reilly's staunchest defenders - Trump is, after all, not so different from the former Fox cable host.
"The O'Reilly Factor" lost about 90 advertisers following the report, leading 21 Century Fox to oust the television star Wednesday.
"Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect".
As of Wednesday evening, the network had already removed O'Reilly's name from the show's title.
The show itself will be removed from the lineup beginning Monday.
The news was discussed by Howard Kurtz, Fox's media analyst, during a segment on the network's 6 p.m. program "Special Report".
O'Reilly, 67, had ruled the "no spin zone" on television with a quick smile and an even quicker temper. He pushed a populist, conservative-leaning point of view born from growing up on Long Island, and was quick to shout down those who disagreed with him.
But it was O'Reilly who created the template for how to succeed in cable TV punditry, delighting his viewers with unapologetic attacks on liberal politicians and media members that he delivered with gusto. "The O'Reilly Factor" has generated a huge ad bonanza for Fox, one that yielded more than $178 million in 2015. There was the prospect of even more, with his audience larger in the first three months of 2017 than it has ever been. Even though at least one of the harassment cases against him dated back more than a decade and was widely reported then, the accumulation of cases outlined in the Times damaged him much more extensively.
"This is what happens when women speak our truth - we can slay dragons", Bloom said.
O'Reilly's attorney, Marc Kasowitz, charged that his client was being subjected to a "brutal campaign of character assassination" and that there is a smear campaign orchestrated by far-left organizations bent on destroying O'Reilly for political and financial reasons.
As satisfying as it is to see "Stephen Colbert" get the bad news about his beloved O'Reilly, we hope this extra dose of fake Bill O'Reilly doesn't have frightful consequences for the universe's O'Reilly levels (the so-called "O'Reilly factor.") But without more federal funding for research, there's no way to be sure just how much Bill O'Reilly is out there at any one time.
Dana Perino, who has been filling in for O'Reilly since he announced an extended break earlier this month, announced that he was no longer with the network.
Activist groups such as the National Organisation for Women have been bringing pressure to bear for weeks on the firm to fire O'Reilly in a case that NOW said became emblematic of the "culture of sexual harassment at Fox News" and requires an "immediate independent investigation".
"I understand how hard this has been for many of you", Rupert Murdoch said in the memo.
Kurtz had filed a story on Fox's website earlier in the afternoon, but it didn't get mentioned on-air until he appeared Wednesday.
UK MPs back plans for 8 June poll
Granted, the Liberal Democrat leader, Tim Farron, does not look particularly prime ministerial. He said May simply sensed the chance to secure a majority of 100 MPs or more .
Pence warns North Korea the USA "sword stands ready"
The concerns were exacerbated after a North Korean missile exploded during launch on Sunday, U.S. and South Korean officials said. That kind of rhetoric has unnerved allies in Japan and South Korea, who would be at the sharp end of any North Korean response.
Arkansas suffers 2 setbacks to multiple execution plan
Johnson was set for execution Thursday night along with inmate Ledell Lee, who is also seeking a stay in a separate case. Supreme Court to block upcoming executions in the state, citing concerns with one of the lethal injection drugs.