ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com June 24, 2017


Russian Federation blocks Security Council response to North Korea's failed missile test

20 April 2017, 06:22 | Erica Roy

Pence warns NKorea 'era of strategic patience is over'

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and US Vice President Mike Pence shake hands prior to a luncheon hosted by Abe at the prime minister’s official residence in Tokyo

After North Korea failed to successfully test a medium-range missile last week, Vice President Mike Pence said at the Demilitarized Zone that the era of "strategic" patience with North Korean malfeasance and nuclear brinksmanship was over.

"They are listening", Bash first posed to the Vice President in Tokyo, Japan.

"But we're going to redouble our efforts to bring diplomatic and economic pressure to bear on North Korea".

On Sunday, the US and South Korean military officials reported that Pyongyang's latest missile test had failed earlier in the day, with the projectile exploding nearly immediately after the launch.

Pence and Abe agreed that they needed to persuade China to play a larger role in dealing with North Korea, a Japanese government spokesman said.

Its aim is to be able to put a nuclear warhead on an intercontinental ballistic missile that can reach targets around the world, including the US.

United Nations diplomats said the proposed statement had consensus from the other 14 Council members, including China, North Korea's biggest ally and a Council permanent member. But the vice-president expressed impatience with the unwillingness of North Korea to move toward ridding itself of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.


He further warned the North that "all options are on the table as we continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with the people of South Korea". At the time of a previous missile test by North Korea on April 5 us satellites observed an increased activity in Sinpo. Multiple US officials said all current anti-missile ships and other ground-based interceptors in Alaska are available.

The U.S. Defense Department has been considering military options against North Korea for more than a month in case President Donald Trump decides to take action, a defense official was quoted as saying Tuesday. They also say greater Chinese cooperation is vital.

The White House foreign policy adviser traveling with Pence told reporters that the type of missile that North Korea tried to fire on Sunday was medium-range, and that it exploded about 4 to 5 seconds after it was launched.

Next week, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will chair a minister-level meeting on the North Korean issue at the UN.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Tuesday that China was ready to work "with all relevant countries" within the framework of the UN Security Council.

Bloomberg reported the North Korean regime didn't respond to a request for a meeting.

After a two-month policy review, the Trump administration settled on a policy dubbed "maximum pressure and engagement", US officials said Friday. In a perplexing mix-up, the USS Carl Vinson, which the US Navy said on April 8 would head to North Korea, was photographed 3,500 miles away in Indonesia on April 15. South Korea has convened a National Security Council meeting after the failed test, saying in a statement their government "condemns this serious threat on the Korean peninsula and overall global society".



Other News

Trending Now

Pakistan prepares new dossier on Indian involvement based on Jadhav's statement
However, India denied Pakistan's contention and maintained that Jadhav was kidnapped by the Pakistan authorities. The move comes a day after Pakistan denied consular access to Jadhav for the 14th time.

Sabres clean house by firing GM Murray and coach Bylsma
Pegula will address the media on Friday at 10 a.m. and says the team has begun the process to fill these positions immediately. After missing the playoffs again, the Buffalo Sabres are making major changes in their organization.

Volvo announces plans to export China-made electric car
Honda Motor Co. will show its new NeuV, a futuristic concept vehicle the company has suggested might get an electric drivetrain. According to management consulting firm McKinsey, 43 percent of the 870,000 electric cars produced in 2016 came from China.

Trump's New Order on Visas Could Make American Colleges Less Appealing Overseas
Trump signed the order after visiting a tool factory at Kenosha, Wisconsin, in the Chicago-Milwaukee industrial corridor. But his new executive order only overhauls the much discussed H-1B visa program, targeting high-skilled foreign labor.

Korea working to confirm reports on controversial Trump-Xi remark
Yoon suggested unification on the Korean peninsula would be realized without China's meddling. But in the meantime, he has stirred a diplomatic row between South Korea and China.

SGX's Q3 profit falls 6.8% to S$83.1 million amid derivatives slump
Expenses fell 3% to S$99.7 million, mainly due to lower volume related processing and royalties and professional fees. Operating revenue fell 1.5% to S$202.7 million in 3Q17, from S$205.8 million in the corresponding period past year .

Trump seeks to restrict visas used by high-tech companies
Canada has made a decision to impose import taxes on ultra-filtered milk, a protein liquid concentrate used to make cheese. These sign on executive order is a part of fulfilling his promises which he made in the election campaign past year .