ibusinesslines.com
ibusinesslines.com September 24, 2017


Bill O'Reilly Fired From $20 Million Per Year Fox News Job

20 April 2017, 02:36 | Laverne Osborne

Bill O'Reilly will not return to host The O'Reilly Factor amid accusations of sexual harassment against him, 21st Century Fox has announced. He commented on the issue Wednesday, calling it "tremendously disheartening" and labeling the claims "completely unfounded", according to the Washington Post.

O'Reilly said he would look back on his time at Fox "with great pride in the unprecedented success" achieved and with "deepest gratitude" to his "dedicated viewers".

While O'Reilly's future at the network is likely to be determined by business calculations, sources said that his failure to establish relationships has made him more vulnerable as Murdoch and his sons debate the host's future at the network.

The downfall of Fox's most popular - and most lucrative - personality began on April 2, when The New York Times reported that five women had been paid a total of $13 million to keep quiet about disturbing encounters with O'Reilly.

In a memo to employees, top execs at parent company 21st Century Fox said the "decision follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel".

The first came after Megyn Kelly, who hosted the second-highest rated program on prime-time cable news, left the network in January for NBC News.

"I think this is probably the last step for him", said Fiedler, of BU, where O'Reilly received his master's degree, wrote a column for the student newspaper and returned to speak. Longtime panelist Eric Bolling is exiting the show, hanging on to its 5 PM ET timeslot to host a show of his own. "Bill O'Reilly is leaving, as of today".

O'Reilly's departure represents an "enormous change" for the industry, although Fox News' competitors may not be able to take immediate advantage, said Jonathan Klein, who led CNN from 2004 to 2010 and is now CEO of video subscription platform TAPP Media.


O'Reilly is parting ways with the Fox News Channel after reports five women were paid millions of dollars to stay silent about harassment allegations.

Liberal groups which had long opposed O'Reilly, and had been pushing advertisers to join the boycott, celebrated the news Wednesday.

The departed O'Reilly's "The Factor" will continue through this week with Dana Perino hosting Wednesday and Thursday night, and Greg Gutfield on Friday.

O'Reilly's departure will not affect Twenty-First Century Fox's overall profitability, said Brian Wieser, an analyst at Pivotal Research.

According to Kurtz, beginning this Monday, Tucker Carlson's show will move from 9 p.m. But the question will be whether fans of O'Reilly specifically will watch someone else in his time slot ― or perhaps go see if a game's on.

"There has been leadership changes at Fox", said Robinson.

The scandal, which was initially reported by The New York Times, had motivated about 50 companies - including big names such as Mercedes-Benz, Hundai and BMW - to withdraw their advertising from "The O'Reilly Factor", the host's evening programme.



Other News

Trending Now

Champions League: Real Madrid storm into semi final
If he keeps playing the way he did in the two games against Bayern, he likely won't have to worry about being jeered anymore. Bayern were left incensed, though, as Ronaldo's second and third goals were clearly offside.

D'Antoni looking for 1st title in his 1st year with Rockets
All judges agreed that the music's tempo was hard to keep step to, however the pair pulled through with a score of 32/40. Tell Us: Do you think the right couple went home? And then ones to say goodbye are Jayne and Savchenko.

United Kingdom to hold snap general election on June 8
May said that opponents were intent on "frustrating the Brexit process", even after Parliament authorized talks with the EU. In contrast, nearly all the MPs in May's Conservatives party (325 out of 330) voted for the early election.

Here's one thing United will do differently after the fiasco
United Airlines has said it is changing its policy on booking its own flight crew on to its planes. The aggressive removal of Dao left him with a concussion and a broken nose last Sunday.

Dinakaran's Middleman Tried to Bribe EC, Confesses Arrested Aide
He claimed it was the desire of all party cadres, top functionaries, district secretaries, MPs, MLAs, and ministers. The alleged middleman in the TTV Dinakaran bribery case, Sukesh Chandrasekar is likely to be taken to Chennai.

Final killer whale to be born in SeaWorld park welcomed
The company called the calf's birth "historic" and said the event would mark "a new era" for SeaWorld Parks. The park had come under fire for its treatment of killer whales since the 2013 CNN documentary "Blackfish".

Boy, 17, killed in Venezuela mass protests
Demonstrators clash with the police during a rally against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, in Caracas . Maduro said the hemispheric organization was persecuting his country.